Stats: Saint-Dalmas-de -Valdeblore (1290m) to Sospel (350m) via Col de Turini (1,604m); length 68km; elevation 1,548m. Battery used 80%.
Only 4km uphill brought us to the unremarkable yet touristic Col Saint-Martin (1,500m), on the circuit of the Tour de France.
This stage had no particular landmark but the ride went through impressive roads with little traffic.
Up and especially down Col de Turini, we crossed deep and remore forests.
The path was enveloped in dramatic wilderness and lush vegetation along a canyon route; it was almost scary as the evening light was creeping in.
Arrived in Sospel the landscape and scent become more Mediterranean.
Sospel is a picturesque and colorful medieval village along the river.
We slept in a medieval church structure converted in B&B, just outside Sospel.
Links to other sections of the Route des Grandes Alpes:
- Intro- Route des Grandes Alpes , France (southern half)
- St-Michel-de Maurienne to Valloire , France (Day-1)
- Valloire To Briançon , France (Day-2)
- Briançon to Guillestre , France (Day-3)
- Guillestre to Barcelonnette , France (Day-4)
- Barcelonnette to Guillaumes, France (Day-5)
- Guillaumes to Valdeblore , France (Day-6)
- Sospel to Nice , France (Day-8)